Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Parliament looms ever closer...

My apologies. I have not written.

I've been busy packing, finishing up school, etc. Currently, I'm at home sitting on the couch, wiggling a piece of yarn for the newest member of our family: Wedge, the (more than) slight fat tabby.

Another apology: this blog will not be particularly insightful. Rather, it will be an outlet for me to vent the excitement I'm feeling now that the entire program book for the Parliament has been released. I've been inhaling it for the past few minutes, and talking here will prevent me from spouting nonsensical cries of joy like "Squee!"

Perhaps you didn't hear me the first time. THE PROGRAM BOOK IS RELEASED! There are lists about speakers, nametags, programs, venues, eateries, and more, and I'm in pluralist heaven.

Care for a sample?

The daily schedule looks something like this:

8:00-9:00 a.m. Morning Observances
--coming from a huge range of religious traditions, and all are welcome to participate in any
9:30-11:00 a.m. Intrareligious Programs
--single religions have a chance to speak out
11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Interreligious Programs
--multiple religions converge with goals of communication and understanding
2:30-4:00 p.m. Engagement Programs
--discussion of crucial topics in our world and our approach to them as diverse religious peoples
4:30-6:00 p.m. Open Space
--space for "informal discussions"
7:30-9:00 p.m. Evening Plenary
--keynote speakers, performances, etc.

I have a sizable list of programs, discussions, and workshops that I would like to attend, but here's a few that I'm thinking about.

12 steps: a Complete, non-Denominational spiritual Path for the 21st century
Quite frankly, this looks fascinating. The program description says that it fits with any faith tradition, and it enables people to maximize their spirituality without getting caught up in specific theology. As someone who is (I admit) religiously unidentified, this seems like a good way to find some grounding. To quote, the program will "reveal the Steps as a potentially radical, contemporary spiritual tradition for the 21st century."

The Spiritual Tradition of Scientology
Margaret and I are both planning on attending this panel discussion, simply because we are curious. It could be really fascinating or really weird. Or both. However, it should answer some questions. And maybe Tom Cruise will be there!

The Role of Media in Conflict Resolution
As one who is toying with the idea of journalism, I'm particularly intrigued by this program. The panel discussion will focus on the idea of various media sources, such as broadcast, print, and internet (blogs?!), to foster interfaith communication and understanding. So, basically what I'm trying to do right now.

Blogistan: Muslims Dialogue through New Media
This one has "blog" in the title. Why would I not go? But seriously... this discussion focuses on avenues such as Facebook and Twitter and how they are being utilized to connect Muslims across the globe and eradicate prejudice and stereotypes. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this session, since social media has become a bit of a fascination for me.

The Hazards of Writing about Religion
This is an experience of writing about religion through a nontraditional channel, acting as a reporter of sorts. If I enjoy it enough that I want to try and find a career in the same general category, I should perhaps learn what I'm up against. This discussion addresses issues of remaining faithful to one's own religion as well as the difficulties of illustrating complex faith issues with few words. I think I will learn a lot.

This, my friends, is just a mere peek. But fear not: every event I attend will be reported and discussed.

I should probably go to the bathroom before I wet my pants in excitement. Thank you so much for reading, and stay with me!

THREE. DAYS.

Peace,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment