Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why a blog?

Forgive me for momentarily deferring from my normally erudite and philosophically profound thoughts (ha!), but I suddenly felt the irrepressible urge to explain why I am writing a blog.

This is indeed a rather strangely timed post - it is currently twelve minutes past midnight. I have just recently returned from the movie Julie and Julia, based on the book by Julie Powell. Both are about her experience keeping a blog while cooking her way through all 524 recipes of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The book and the movie were both absolutely fantastic.

There's something about the way Julie Powell writes. I highly doubt I am the first to say this, but she is so REAL. So HONEST. She's never afraid of saying that which is entirely true. She admits her faults, her thoughts, her existence.

And, while we're on the subject of admitting, I admit that I am a phony follower, one who loved her only after reading her book. I never read her blog - I wasn't much of a blogophile at the age of twelve, when it was launched. But her book is among my favorites despite one magazine's declaration of it as "sickly sweet." But they're too busy writing about orgasms to appreciate how wonderful it is, so who cares?

My point is, I would like to write like Julie Powell. I'm just trying to find my subject matter. Julie writes about cooking and food and her relationship with her husband, Eric, while being utterly, sinfully hilarious and thoughtful all at once. Meanwhile, I flail around blindly for a topic that allows me to release my creative licenses with hopes of paralleling her.

Religion is my first try. Perhaps I will not be able to unleash as much as I would like to, but it's worth a shot.

Ten days until the Parliament. Keep following me, and thank you.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/maggieolsonpwr
Twitter: maggieolsonpwr
Blog: maggieolsonpwr.blogspot.com
Email: maggieolsonpwr@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog via a Facebook post from the Parliament of World Religions. I'll be attending too and am also very excited about it. Looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know that this "I flail around blindly for a topic that allows me to release my creative licenses" is part of the writing process. Flail away, you will find your sweet spot, although there may be a few lemons along the way. David

    ReplyDelete