Saturday, December 5, 2009

Further illness updates

Hello my lovely readers.

So here's the scoop.

After vomiting two days ago and spending all day yesterday sick in bed, I woke up this morning with rather severe stomach pain and went to the emergency room. I wasn't given a very solid diagnosis, but we've ruled out anything major and the doctor thinks it's stomach inflammation and irritation. Either way, I've been given a few meds, but not much has changed. My stomach still hurts.

The thing is, being homesick is very, very unusual for me. I suffered from a bit of it on a recent trip to Greece (though many of you know that I was quite sick on that trip, too), but at the age of 17 I was in France for a month and experienced maybe one afternoon of homesickness when I'd been there two weeks.

With this in mind, I have conferred endlessly with my loving parents and many others and we have come to the conclusion that I was sick (or getting sick) before I even came, and that's what's making me so miserable.

As a result, I'm going to see how I feel in a day or two, but if I'm not better, I'm just going to stick it out until the end of the Parliament (Wednesday), then take a train up to Sydney and fly home. To be honest, I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm coming home. I have no desire to be here anymore and I want nothing more than to be back in Plymouth. I will stay until the Parliament is over, but I have no real motive to stay anymore. I feel too rotten. There's clearly something wrong with my body and I have no choice but to listen to it.

Now that I'm thinking back on it, I have had stomach issues for the whole week that I've been here. I had trouble eating even in the L.A. airport, and that was before I even made it out of the country. Most foods other than crackers, juice, and bananas make me want to regurgitate them before they've even crossed my lips. Every time I've been made to feel better by talking to my mom or my dad or my boyfriend, I relapse into being upset because my stomach acts up again. There is clearly something more than homesickness going on here.

This trip has been, in a word, miserable. The few times I've enjoyed myself are massively outweighed by the times I've spent crying, trying to resist crying, and feeling absolutely dreadful. If I'm going to feel sick, I might as well feel sick at home where my mommy and daddy can help me.

The one thing that weighs on my mind is the feeling that this whole trip has been a waste. The planning, the money, and the excitement have all been for naught. If I go home, I'm throwing it down the drain. But would it not be equally wasteful to spend another ten days here instead, feeling absolutely wretched and wishing I was home?

It is not, as I'm trying to convince myself, a true waste. I still can experience the Parliament. I still have explored another part of the world. I still have seen a kangaroo, a koala, a platypus, and an echidna up close. I can still do my Civitas project, which is the real reason I'm here. I went and spoke again with one of the women from the Listening Room and she discussed these things with me and made me feel at peace about them. But there's one more thing.

I want to ask a favor of you.

When I come home, I really don't want to have to deal with people giving me grief for coming home early. This is my decision, one that I've made with the help of those around me, and it is not a decision that will impact the well-being of anyone at home. I will happily discuss my experiences at the Parliament and in the city of Melbourne with you, but I don't want to be scolded for my choices. If you want to think I'm a spineless coward, feel free to do so. But please, keep it to yourself. I don't want to hear it. This is all I ask of you.

Sorry for the tirade, and thank you for reading. I will continue to update.

Much love,
Maggie

7 comments:

  1. Maggie. You are not a spinelss coward. The trip is not a waste. It will be a story to tell, that much is certain. My prayer is that you can enjoy the rest of the parliament, meet some interesting people and learn some meaningful things. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maggie,
    These are your decisions to make, and I know you well enough to know that the right decision willbe made. I hope that as you feel better, you can absorb more of what this parliament has to offer. You will grow from this activity and expand your own thought processes. You are a wise woman - know yourself well - and will make the best choice as to what is good for you.
    Enjoy as much more as you can, learn from this, and then when you are home you can share it with me. I look forward to that.
    Take care of yourself - much love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Niece,

    My thoughts, prayers and positive energy continue reaching out to and for you. You are wise - know that you are learning much and not all of it will be clear until some future point in time. This is true with many things. NOTHING is ever a waste ... not EVER.

    Having said that - I wish for you a speedy recovery and healing so that you can go forward on whichever path you determine is the best next. Continue to listen to your body - wisdom is always there as well.

    Love Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maggie,

    I don't blame you one bit; I'd do exactly the same thing if I was in your shoes. The trip hasn't been a waste--you've met some cool people, and how many of us can say we've even been to Australia?! Either way, this will definitely be a story to tell the grandkids! :)

    Take care, hun! You're a lot braver than I would be! :)

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie,

    I would just like to say that you cannot, under any circumstances, call yourself a spineless coward. There are very few people I know that would travel around the world with one of their best friends to go on vacation, let alone a gathering of the world's religious personas. Alos, those that I know who would travel there, would already have jumped on a plane back. And finally, I am entirely jealous of your trip, I really want to see a kangaroo, a koala, and a platypus. I hope the rest of the Parliament goes well and hope you have a safe trip home.

    Andrew Halbritter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, this is your mom's friend Carrie, writing to tell you that we, your mom's reverend girlfriends, are praying for you! Safe travel home. Hang in there, sister!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie- i found you while googling for Sakena Yacoobi, who spoke at the opening session. I work for a non-profit that supports her and her work.
    It was not a waste! I got to meet you through your wonderful blog and enjoy your many posts. A women in Bellaire, Michigan, working in a tiny office, got you hear your words in the world. You remind me of my daughters, who have gone forth in the world, and have traveled and lived internationally. This is how our world will one day come to peace....
    Go home and heal, and move forward again...

    ReplyDelete