Tuesday, December 1, 2009

First post in Australia!

So here we are! Australia!

I apologize for not having written. There were several circumstances that prevented me from writing even a remotely insightful and cogent blog entry: extreme exhaustion, lack of motivation, and a stomach issue that is only now starting to let up. Fear not: we’ve figured out the problem. I haven’t been eating properly.

Anyway, much to report. I’ll try to save you my ranting and get down to the good stuff.

Our hostel, the Nunnery, is hilarious. It’s literally a refurbished nunnery, and moderately tacky religious art still brightens the walls. It’s hardly fancy, but has a laid-back, amusing community feel to it. The floors are old wood, the walls have cracks, and the staff is referred to as the nuns, as in, “The nuns have a no-refund policy” (a sign by the front desk). There is also, I am ecstatic to say, a kitty! He is referred to as Brother Francis, and he is darling. He roams about as he pleases.

We’ve already done some city-hopping. We’ve shopped around in our chunk of the Melbourne area, and we went to the zoo today. I’ve had a small revelation: echidnas are hilarious and endearing, like little bears with spike armor. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, Google it.

The most unusual of our many finds was Hares and Hounds, the bookstore. We weren’t really sure why there were so many books about sex and homosexuality and so many postcards with naked men strutting their stuff on them, but then the person with large breasts AND a beard walked in, and we realized it was a GLBT bookstore. Though it was, I admit, a little strange at first, Margaret and I decided “Good for them!”

We’ve already run into quite a few people who are preparing for the Parliament, but I’ll talk about them tomorrow. For now, we’re tired again, for jetlag is a wrathful foe until it is conquered. So thanks for reading, and keep doing so. Much love to all.

Maggie

4 comments:

  1. Keeping geting your rest and for goodness sake ... eat nutritious foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, David. Include plenty of fruits, veggies and protein!! It is really nice to read the update. We were sad when there wasn't a tweet for us yesterday! Sounds like your temporary home is a good fit. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie, I echo what David said. Eat lots of fruit and veggies and regular protein! Glad to hear no mention of vertigo!!!
    It sounds like you have found the perfect, quirky home away from home and are having fun already. You must be getting excited as the parliament approaches. We anxiously watch for every post and await every tweet!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's harder to tweet regularly without a phone, but I'll do it from my computer from now on :) I promise I won't forget again.

    ReplyDelete